Thursday, December 1, 2011

Franchisee Profile: John Helton of Goshen, OH

Name:  Jon Helton                                                                         
Brand:   HomeTeam                                                                   
Location: Goshen, OH

Being in real estate since 1974, Jon Helton is no stranger to the housing industry. He continues his love for the industry alongside his two sons, Chris and Zach, in hopes of aggressively expanding company volume.

Q: How did you learn about the brand?
A: The HomeTeam Corporation is located in my hometown, so I knew the young man that owned the franchise. I tried to hire him but he wanted to sell the business so we bought him out.

Q: Why did you decide to open your own business?
A:  I decided to buy two HomeTeam businesses because I wanted my boys to always be employed. The economy is rough, but you can at least control your own destiny with your own business. I wanted to help the boys have a future.

Q: With regard to your previous experience, what skills do you feel helped you in your business?
A: I’ve been in the real estate business since 1974, so I understand what realtors look at when they need a home inspection. To a realtor, a home inspection is one step closer to closing. They don’t pay much attention and encourage their clients to find the cheapest inspector. Although a home inspection is the cheapest part of a real estate transaction, it’s definitely the most important.

Q: Why did you choose to enter this industry?
A: I chose to enter this industry because I love the real estate business. I don’t like selling houses, but I love the other phases of real estate.

Q: How did you finance your business?
A: I financed my business by putting a lot of money down and taking out a small loan.

Q: What obstacles have you overcome to get where you are today with your business?
A: I overcome negativity and the declining government every day. Although I don’t control the market, I can control market share.

Q: What makes your business different?
A: Customer service! Service is what we preach and service is what we give. Secondly, our team approach and multiple inspectors set us apart from other businesses. Lastly, all of our inspectors are certified and licensed. The state of Ohio doesn’t require inspector licensing, so we go above and beyond expectations. Our employees will always be trained and updated in all aspects of the homecare industry.

Q: Are there any prominent industry trends that you are experiencing right now?
A: The prominent industry trend is slowly making businesses rely on the higher class for income. In the old days, I made the bulk of my money from the middle class which allowed me to make bonus money from the higher class. However, the government has gotten rid of the middle class money, so I now have to rely solely on the higher end. I no longer have bonus money.

Q: What are your expansion or development plans?
A: My plan is to double my company volume in the next five years. It’s an aggressive plan, but I like being aggressive.

ABOUT HOMETEAM INSPECTION SERVICE:
For more than 20 years, HomeTeam Inspection Service, a 175-plus-unit home inspection franchise, has brought exceptional quality, value and dependability to the home inspection industry.  HomeTeam franchisees work with homebuyers, home sellers and real estate professionals to service home inspection needs.  Today, HomeTeam Inspection Service continues to expand throughout the United States by offering franchise opportunities.  For more information on HomeTeam Inspection Service, visit www.hometeaminspection.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Analytics