Thursday, December 8, 2011

Franchisee Profile: Dwayne and Erica Moore of Lanham, MD

Name:  Dwayne & Erica Moore                                               
Opening Date: April 1997
Brand:   HomeBiz                                                                              
Location: Lanham, MD

After retiring from the U.S. Army, Dwayne Moore and wife Erica Moore settled in Lanham, Md. where they now own their own HomeBiz business. Aided by the assistance of their 31-year old son and master inspector, Patrick, and 32-year old son, Nicholas, the Lanham HomeBiz location is truly a family affair.

Q: Where are you from?
A:  I’m originally from Norfolk, Va. The U.S. Army brought me here in 1987 and I loved the area so much that my family and I decided that we were going to make this home after I retired from the Army.

Q: What was your career before franchising?
A: Before franchising, the only real job I had was the U.S. Army.

Q: How did you learn about the brand?
A: I learned about HomeTeam by calling several different franchises. I had talked to House Masters, another franchise which I was interested in, but I just couldn’t stomach some of the things they were saying.

Q: Why did you decide to open your own business?
A: I decided to open my business because I wanted to be my own boss. After being in the Army for 20 years, I was tired of clocking in and out and having everyone tell me what to do and how to do it.

Q: What was appealing to you about joining a franchise system?
A: Joining a franchise system was appealing to me because it was cost effective. For example, I was quoted approximately $2,200 for a brochure template, whereas I was able to purchase brochures for five cents apiece when with a franchise. Joining a franchise also provided a backbone and support for when things didn’t go as planned. With a franchise, you don’t have to figure it out all by yourself. You have people with the same interest, so that infrastructure was definitely appealing.

Q: With regard to your previous experience, what skills do you feel helped you in your business?
A: My management skills have definitely helped me in my business as they’ve allowed me to juggle my time and use the correct resources. Also, I believe my nursing skills have helped because I care. My passion for caring has carried over to this business because it’s important to care about people and their emotions. Most people are emotionally tied to a potential home because it’s the biggest dollar item they’ve bought. I’ve also learned how to separate my home life from my business life. It’s difficult, but necessary.

Q: Why did you choose to enter this industry?
A: I chose to enter the home inspection industry because I had a home inspected back in 1990. The gentleman didn’t respect me and he didn’t do anything I couldn’t do. I started going to school for it to gain knowledge. I wanted to know what that home inspector was supposed to do when he had inspected my home. I really started enjoying it as I went through school, so I decided it was what I wanted to do after the Army.

Q: How did you finance your business?
A: I financed my business through personal savings and with the help of family, colleagues and friends.

Q: What obstacles have you overcome to get where you are today with your business?
A: The most challenging obstacle has been the down economy and subsequent slowing business. However, networking has also been an obstacle I’ve had to overcome. I believe people should watch me work and then base their decision according to my performance, so trying to sell myself has been difficult. I don’t want to go around and tell everyone how wonderful I am. I want to show them.

Q: What makes your business different?
A: Our business is different due to our team approach and customer service. There’s no other home inspection service in the area that utilizes a team approach, so it puts us a step ahead of everyone else.  We also stay abreast of current technology and use it in the best way possible for our customers. For instance, we just obtained new software that emails our clientele base and keeps everyone in the loop. So everyone is aware of what’s going on and what’s about to happen.

Q: Are there any prominent industry trends that you are experiencing right now?
A: I’ve noticed the demographics of homebuyers shifting. Younger people, around age 23, are buying more homes that the older clients who are in their forties or older. Younger people have flooded the DC area, so more are now buying homes. People are beginning to realize that the market is at its rock bottom and that it’s the perfect time to buy a house.

Q: What are your expansion or development plans?
A: I’m patiently waiting for my business to grow to the point where I can hire multiple teams again. I would like to get back to having three teams of inspectors, but I need to wait until the market can support it.

ABOUT HOMETEAM INSPECTION SERVICE:
For more than 20 years, HomeTeam Inspection Service, a 175-plus-unit home inspection franchise, has brought exceptional quality, value and dependability to the home inspection industry.  HomeTeam franchisees work with homebuyers, home sellers and real estate professionals to service home inspection needs.  Today, HomeTeam Inspection Service continues to expand throughout the United States by offering franchise opportunities.  For more information on HomeTeam Inspection Service, visit www.hometeaminspection.com.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about best franchise in your area. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about best franchise. Keep it up!
Various tangibles and intangibles such as national or international advertising, training and other support services are commonly made available by the franchisor.
Pump It Up franchisees see the benefits of our brand even before they open their doors to the public. We’ve had over a decade to define and refine our brand and systems in a way that serves our franchise family as well as the parents and children we serve on a daily basis around the country.

best franchise boston

Post a Comment

 
Web Analytics